On May 24, 2017, within the walls of PNU, the first computer security championship for the rector's cup of FarEastCTF - SplitCTF was held. The championship was held in the task-based CTF format. It was attended by 10 teams from 3 Far Eastern universities - from Khabarovsk and Birobidzhan.
To be honest the creation of this event appeared spontaneously, after participating in the UFO CTF. We have participated in this format for the first time, but immediately showed excellent results. Therefore, we came up with the idea to create own CTF, with tasks and pizza.
This spontaneous initiative immediately found support from the department, faculty and sponsors. To occupy this niche in the Far East is a matter of honor.
10 teams entered the fight:
- CryptoGoose — Pacific State University (Khabarovsk)
- ITparty — Far Eastern State Transport University (Khabarovsk)
- CryptoPryanya — Pacific State University (Khabarovsk)
- SAPSU2 — Amur State University named after Sholem Aleichem (Birobidzhan)
- WhiteHats — Pacific State University (Khabarovsk)
- Stay Calm and Hack — Pacific State University (Khabarovsk)
- Hack the System — Pacific State University (Khabarovsk)
- Crab — Pacific State University (Khabarovsk)
- SAPSU1 — Sholem Aleichem Priamur State University (Birobidzhan)
- Users — Pacific State University (Khabarovsk)
The teams fought desperately for points, but the best were:
- 1st place — CryptoGoose
- 2nd place — ITparty
- 3rd place — CryptoPryanya
After the competition, we launched a survey among the participants, as a result of which we learned that all the participants were satisfied with the level of the championship and the complexity of the tasks - they said that it is “difficult, but solvable” and want to repeat the competition in the next academic year and a detailed analysis of the unresolved tasks.
This event helped us gain a wealth of experience: we have worked out teamwork skills, honed our knowledge in professional areas while creating tasks, and organizational skills are invaluable!